Indeed, it is but the middle of September and still 90 degrees outside, but in my opinion, it’s never to early to get a jump start on all the cozy, feel good food that the cool weather brings! My husband LOVES chicken noodle soup and orders it every time a restaurant has it on their menu. The last time we ate this for dinner, he proclaimed that it was the best chicken noodle soup he’s ever had. MINE WAS HIS FAVORITE HALLELUJAH! It’s the perfect weeknight meal to quickly throw together and provides us with leftovers for at least a day or two.
What have we got going on in this bowl, you might ask? The usual suspects, I’d say.
- Shredded chicken. I’ve made it with both a rotisserie chicken from Costco and with some easy crock pot shredded chicken and both are delicious!
- Chopped carrots, celery, and onions for some color and sweetness
- Chicken broth or chicken stock. I used the organic kind from Trader Joe’s last time and it was DELISH.
- Some fancy nancy herbs such as dill, thyme, and parsley to give it the most tasty, zippy flavor (p.s. do you pronounce it ERB or H-ERB? I love when the “h” is real emphasized on all those English TV shows)
- a squeeze of lemon juice because I put lemon juice or lemon zest in literally everything. My husband says if I were a food, I’d be a grapefruit. And to that I say YOU’RE WELCOME THEY SMELL LIKE HEAVEN ON EARTH.
I love comfort food, and this simple recipe hits the spot every time. I hope you’ll enjoy whipping a pot of this up for you, your roommates, husband, or family, and that brings a little bit of comfort to your table this fall!
Comforting Chicken Noodle Soup
A comforting classic to warm you from the inside out!
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 celery stalks, chopped
- 4 medium carrot sticks, chopped
- 4 cups shredded chicken (from rotisserie chicken or crock pot)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp dried dill
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 8 cups chicken broth or stock
- 2 1/2 cups uncooked egg noodles
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
For Crock Pot Chicken:
Place 3 boneless chicken breasts in a crock pot and season generously with garlic salt. Cook on low for 4-6 hours. Shred with two forks.
Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add garlic and onions and saute for about 5 minutes. Add celery and carrots and season with salt and pepper. Saute for a few more minutes until the veggies start to soften.
Add 4 cups shredded chicken to the pot. Season veggie and chicken mixture with salt, dill, and thyme and stir together until combined. Saute for a minute or two more.
Add 8 cups of chicken broth, stirring to combine. Add noodles and bay leaves and bring to a low boil. Turn heat to low-medium and simmer until noodles are cooked and veggies are soft, about 15-20 minutes.
The longer you let the soup sit, the better the flavors meld together, so I usually turn the heat to low and let it sit for about 10 more minutes before adding 2 tbsp fresh parsley and 2 tbsp lemon juice. Serve in bowls garnished with fresh parsley and enjoy!